Magheracloone Best in cracking Intermediate Football Decider

 Magheracloone  2-11  Aghabog  1-10

Magheracloone had to work their socks off before securing the IFC title on a 2-11 to 1-10 scoreline after a tremendous battle with a game Aghabog crew.

This was a decider that was always going to be a close contest and one in which the destination of the spoils remained unclear right to the end of the game with both teams battling it out to return to senior championship ranks for 2013.

After only one minute of play Magheracloone recorded the first point from Niamh Kindlon, a player who was inspirational throughout the game when needed.

With some good interchange from Laura Boylan, Aisling Tierney pointed for Aghabog, another six minutes were to elapse before the next score a point from the boot of Niamh Kindlon, this in turn was cancelled out by Aisling Tierney at the other end.

Some good play by Rachel Boylan found Anita Newell on the run to point for Aghabog, a foul on Ellen Mc Carron resulted in Aisling Tierney pointing. Niamh Kindlon was fouled out on the wing and she pointed from the spot, some great tackling and defending by both sides kept the score at a minimum but in the 20th minute a bad clearance by the Aghabog defence when they failed to gather the loose ball and Niamh Kindlon was in the right place to send it low into the back of the net.

Shauna Tuite added a point to leave it 1-4 to 0-4 by the 23rd minute.

However Laura Boylan, who was causing problems for the Magheracloone defence, won herself a free which she duly pointed and some minutes later Flavia O’ Callaghan added another from play.

A great ball in from Aghabog’s Ellen Mc Carron was saved on the goal line by Ciara Mc Dermott another player who excelled for Magheracloone. This was indeed a let off anf Ciara Mc Guinness who must have run her socks off all through the game collected the kickout and with a surging run forward passed to Karen Byrne who pointed to leave the half time score at 1-5 to 0-6.

Aghabog started much the better team after the break and one may have thought they were home and dry with 15 minutes of the second half gone. A goal and two points (all from play) from county player Ellen Mc Carron, one point from Laura Boylan and a free from Aisling Tierney left Magheracloone trailing by 1-10 to 1-5.

However Magheracloone’s persistence paid off from none other than Christina Reilly, who worked tirelessly in the middle of the park, she played the ball in to Karen Byrne who pointed.

Less than two minutes later Leanne Kirk who had just been introduced into the fray for Magheracloone was in the right place to send a cracking shot to the net and suddenly Magheracloone were back in contention.

With Niamh Kindlon now in the driving seat Aghabog’s defenders found it hard to contain her strength and ability, as she scored the next three points, one from play and two frees. Karen Byrne, another player who stood up to the test pointed once again while Niamh Kindlon pointed another free.

Aghabog did score once more in the dying minutes, a point from the boot of Flavia O’ Callaghan and the final score to seal the game for Magheracloone fittingly came from Niamh Kindlon.

This was an excellent game of football with both sets of forwards evenly matched, overall Magheracloone battled better all over the field when the stakes were down and deserved to win in the end.

Magheracloone: Christina Farrelly, Susan Mc Cahey, Ciara Mc Dermott, Emma Freeman (Capt.), Sinead Hamill, Christina Reilly, Eva Byrne, Leanne Maguire, Ciara Mc Guinness, Aine Reilly, Niamh Kindlon (1-8), Shauna Tuite (0-1), Niamh Rudden, Karen Byrne (0-3), Aine Mc Grane.

Subs used: Tara Kierans, Leanne Kirk (1-0), Tori Carolan, Amanda Coogan.


Aghabog: Niamh Connolly, Noeleen Mc Gurk, Charlotte Brady, Orla King, Lisa Mc Connon, Aoife Leonard, Shannon Reilly, Anite Newell (0-1), Marion Shiels, Rachel Boylan, Ellen Mc Carron (1-2), Flavia O’ Callaghan (0-2), Laura Boylan (0-2), Aisling Tierney (0-4), Bridin Tierney.

Subs used: Michaela Newell, Fabiana O’ Callaghan.