The Mitchells Master North County Rivals

Magheracloone  3-09  Truagh  1-11

Magheracloone made up for losing the Ulster IFC final recently when they secured the Division 1B title on Saturday last in Aughnamullen with a real sleeves-rolled-up display which afforded them a 3-9 to 1-11 victory.

Magheracloone were first on the scoresheet when a long ball in from Ciara Mc Dermott was won out on the wing by Leanne Maguire and she in turn laid it off to Karen Byrne to send it into the top corner of the net. Magheracloone never actually relinquished the lead from the 5th minute.

It took 12 minutes of play for Truagh to get off the blocks, with a fine point from Caoimhe Mohan. Indeed Truagh had several more chances, but failing to put the ball between the posts was their downfall. Both sets of midfielders and defences were on top of their game and this left it very tight to get scores.

However, the hard working Amanda Jackson was fouled in the 16th minute and Niamh Kindlon sent over her first free of the day. Truagh came back with two great points from Amy Murray but Magheracloone scored 1-1 in the space of two minutes, a goal from Niamh Kindlon and a point from Ciara Mc Guinness.

Truagh introduced Sarah Cuddy onto the playing field and this seemed to spur on the team, with points from sisters Caoimhe (2) and Natasha (1) Mohan, while Niamh Kindlon put over a free just coming up to half time to leave the eventual winners ahead by 2-3 to 0-6 at that juncture.

Magheracloone introduced Tori Carolan for the second half and this seemed to pay dividends for them. Karen Byrne kicked off the scoring for Magheracloone with a good point and the aforementioned Tori Carolan put over another while Leanne Maguire added a third, all in 5 minutes of play, but Magheracloone were dealt a blow when Tori Carolan was sin binned in the 7th minute.

Natasha Mohan, who worked tirelessly throughout, put over a point for Truagh and Niamh Kindlon followed with a free for Magheracloone. Some injuries held up the game for a considerable time but the players involved were deemed fit to continue.

Truagh now started to exert more pressure on Magheracloone and were rewarded with three points and when the Magheracloone keeper (who had an otherwise faultless game) failed to hold onto the ball on the goal line, Amy Murray was in the right place to send it to the Magheracloone net. This left the teams all square and made for an exciting final few minutes.

With Magheracloone having the lead throughout, they were not going to let it go that easy, and now down to the wire they gave a major push in the final minutes. Ciara Mc Guinness who was excellent at midfield showed character in pushing through defence and brought the game to Truagh.

Niamh Kindlon put over two frees for Magheracloone and Natasha Mohan put over one for Truagh and the dying minutes Tori Carolan, who had threatened constantly, put the ball in the net for Magheracloone to secure victory for the south Monaghan side.

This was an excellent game of football with the sides evenly matched, overall Magheracloone battled better when the stakes were down, and showed determination to get out on top in the end.

Magheracloone: Christina Farrelly, Susan Mc Cahey, Ciara Mc Dermott, Emma Freeman (Capt.), Sinead Hamill, Edel Gargan, Eva Byrne, Christina Reilly, Ciara Mc Guinness (0-1), Leanne Maguire (0-1), Karen Byrne (1-1), Aine Mc Grane, Amanda Jackson, Niamh Kindlon (1-5, five frees), Tara Kierans.

Sub used: Tori Carolan (1-1).

Truagh: Lisa Mc Kenna, Ellen Mc Meel, Grainne Mc Kenna, Brid Treanor, Rachel Mc Kenna, Kady Mc Kenna, Aoibhinn Corrigan, Rebecca Mc Kenna, Eileen Mc Kenna, Joanne Mc Kenna (0-1), Siobhan Mc Kenna, Natasha Mohan (0-5, two frees), Amy Murray (1-2), Niamh Mc Quaid, Caoimhe Mohan (0-3, one free).

Sub used: Sarah Cuddy.